Ten candidates in three districts, including only one incumbent, will appear on the Nov. 5 ballot, following final campaign filings earlier this month.
The candidates are:
- Grace Garner: firstname.lastname@example.org; (760) 831-3818
- Scott Myer: email@example.com; (760) 904-0989
- Michael Shogren: firstname.lastname@example.org, (541) 979-9285
- Les Young: email@example.com; (760) 322-5691
- Adrian Alcantar: firstname.lastname@example.org; (760) 537-7287
- Peter J. Maietta: email@example.com; (760) 278-1510
- Dennis Woods: firstname.lastname@example.org; (760) 459-5722
- Michael J. Dilger: email@example.com; (312) 593-4058
- Geoffrey Kors: firstname.lastname@example.org; (760) 678-5677
- Alan Phillip Pettit: email@example.com; (760) 673-8883
Only Geoff Kors is an incumbent. Kors currently serves as mayor pro tem.
This will be the first council election using districts. The city elected to create five districts instead of continuing its all at-large elections following a 2018 letter from Southwest Voter Registration Education Project that alleges the City is in violation of the California Voting Rights Act (CVRA) due to its process of at-large elections. Elections for District 5 and 6 council members will be on the ballot in 2020.
Vote by mail ballots will begin being issued Oct. 7. The last day to register to vote in the November election is Oct. 21. To locate your district, register to vote, or learn more about the city’s mayor and council, visit this site.